Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Orange Goblin's "298 kg" Analyzed (misc.)

1 I've seen your illusions, just like you've seen my desires
2 There has got to be much more burnin' in tomorrow's fires
3 I just sip the potion, hope it takes my blues away
4 So I just keep on rollin', 'til I find a brighter day

5 I see your sun is shinin', heavens smilin'
6 There's never been a way for me to say
7 I've got to find the feelin', start believin'
8 There's got to be a way for me to say that I know

9 If a blind man sees tomorrow, like a deaf man hears the sun
10 Then we must choose if we were born to lose, or if we're the chosen one
11 I can't find the feeling, that'll take my blues away
12 So I just keep on rollin', 'til I find a brighter day

13 I see your sun is shinin', heavens smilin'
14 There's never been a way for me to say
15 I've got to find the feelin', start believin'
16 There's got to be a way for me to say that I know

17 A blind man sees tomorrow, like a deaf man hears the sun
18 We must choose if we were born to lose, or if we're the chosen one

1 The "you" in this piece is the world as a whole. Humanity, society, nature, the Earth. The speaker saying that he's seen their illusions and that they've seen his desires implies that he's disappointed in the world. He finds the inherit beauty in life an illusion, and is saddened by that. His yearning to believe in said illusions, and to be happy, are the desires he's shown to the world.

2 Disappointed by the world, the speaker turns his hopes to the future, hoping maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

3 For the time being, he tries his best to be happy with small luxuries like drinking, partying, et cetera.

4 While the hedonistic life makes existence in a disappointing world tolerable, makes him able to continue each day, the speaker can't truly be happy, and continues to hope that some day it'll be better (as referenced in line 2).

5 A juxtaposition of the speaker's wish for a "brighter day" and a literally bright, happy day. All the world and society enjoys a beautiful day without the speaker.

6 The subject speaks directly for a line and begins to make a point, but cuts himself off.

7 He realizes that he can be as happy as everyone else, but is unable to let himself. He knows that he needs to find the same feeling everyone else seems to have but...

8 He's simply unable to say that he understands them.

9 The speaker uses two examples of two people missing senses are a metaphor for his standing. Just as they're unable to experience aspects of enjoying life, neither is he.

10 Reiterating that he's not someone who has fallen into a pit of despair, the speaker reminds the listener, and to some degree, himself, that life is what you make it. Being upset all the time is on the choice of the individual.

11-15 See 3-7

16 The same as line 8, but with a different meaning. Coupling this line with the next two, the speaker means to say that he while things are dark for him at present, he knows that he needs to learn that...

17 A person can't be happy if they constantly sever their attachments to the world...

18 Nor if they think that they are meant to be joyless.

No comments:

Post a Comment